James Dally jdally@knox.net
Sat, 13 Jun 98 21:22:28 PDT

Hello and thanks for the reply.  I have taken some dampers off to study the
rail condition.  It doesn't show any signs of deterioration.  I was
originally putting on a minimum amount of torque but (frustrated) I really
tightened down on the screws.  Several moved quite a bit past where they
were.  I hope the rail didn't give or the butts.  I do know that Schafff
sells the new rails.  $90 each section.  I may have to invest.  Many
thanks.  Jim Dally

----------
> James,
>
> Is it the butt plates that are breaking or the rail itself? If it is
chronic
> you may just have a case where the brass  has  "crystallized". I don't
know if
> this is a legitimate technical term for it but I don't know any other way
> explain it except that the brass has changed it's molecular structure and
has
> weakened. Or somewhere another tech has over-tightened the screws
weakening
> the
> brass. If it is the rail you may have to have the brass rail duplicated. I
> don't know who does this anymore-anyone else???
>
> You might also be able to get by with the brass rail flange/plate repair
clips
> sold by Apsco or Schaff. They have proven indispensable for me many
times. I
> keep a couple dozen of the different types in my parts bin at all times.
Good