Peterson router jig

CDeets@aol.com CDeets@aol.com
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 09:42:46 EDT

In a message dated 6/13/98 7:53:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
KAldrich@CompuServe.COM writes:

<< Has anyone out there tried the Peterson router jig for resurfacing keys?

Yeah!  I have done two jobs with mine so far.  Overall I really like it.  With
it you will need a router, if you don't already have one.  I got a $59 router
on sale at Sears, and it works just fine.  I thought I would need an expensive
plunge router with the fine micrometer adjustment to do a good job, but it is
not necessary.  Once you have the initial adjustment set, it is good for all
54 whites (can also do sharps).  It does key fronts as easy as the tops.

Couple of additional comments:
1.  Buy the carbide 3/4 inch straight bit.  I bought a regular, non-carbide,
bit for $7, and it seem to get dull by the end of the first set.  I thought
that would work sufficiently since I would only be removing a small portion of
material.  The carbide bit cost about $14 and is well worth it.

2.  Be sure to rout off in a counter clockwise motion.  Starting a straight
cut across the back of the key, then down the left side then back up the right
side.  This will produce a perfectly smooth surface.  I have tried it other
ways and tends to "chew-up" the key if it doesn't follow the natural rotation
of the router.

Happy routing,

Craig Deets
Byron, IL