What would YOU do?

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 09:57:50 EDT

Clyde:

Every once in a while I get a customer who behaves this way. As long as the
conversation is on the phone, and he asks you quesitons of a technical nature,
I would suggest you answer them. If he starts asking personal questions, hang
up on him. This guy is overly cautious, and wants to make sure he is not going
to get ripped off. If he wants to "interview" you at his house before allowing
you to work on his piano, tell him you charge a "consultation" fee, in
addition to you other fees. Since you don't have shop for him to come to, tell
him he can observe you tuning a piano at a church or school, but remind him
about your "consultation fee". He will either accept that, or go to another
tuner. In other words, make this as difficult for him, as he is trying to make
it for you, and see who "wins".   If you are uncomfortable doing this, tell
him you are not interested in working for him.

Good luck.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis

<< Friends:

 Last Saturday a man called me.  He just moved into the area from a large
 city and is looking for an RPT to service his Kawai console, which was
 purchased new 10-15 years ago and hasn't seen a tuner or technician
 since.  He's going down the phonebook listings, I gather.  He sounds
 like a most exacting person.  From his descriptions I suggested the
 piano may need less than $200 of work, including pitchraise, tuning,
 thorough cleaning and a few minor things.

 I am used to the normal questions from first-time clients, but this
 gentleman suggested he may want to meet me first and perhaps come and
 see my shop (I don't have any; I work out of my car).  I could
 understand that if I were attempting to sell him a major rebuilding job
 for megabucks.  He already told me he won't call one other person back
 because the RPT made him feel uncomfortable.

 I expect him to call again.  Would you take this job?  Is this type of
 scrutiny common in some areas?  In my 18 years of business I never saw
 anything like it.  I have visions of him watching my every move and
 checking every cranny of the piano's interior with a white cloth to see
 if I was thorough enough.

 I will appreciate being enlightened.  I know not every place in the
 world is as trusting as Lancaster County, and I am careful never to
 betray that trust.  Thank you.

 Clyde Hollinger, RPT
 Lititz, PA, USA >>