Inharmonicity in strings

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 02:40:01 -0500

Hi Jim,
	I have always wondered about the series of harmonics above the primary
ones.  I don't even know how to refer to them.  The interval the fourth
with its 4:3 ratio, should have partials with a 8:6 ratio, and why not a
16:12 ratio as well?
The point is the 8:6 should beat twice as fast as the 4:3, so at the place
in the scale where the fourth beats one per second, on paper we have the
8:6 beating at two per second. I don't hear these.  Do the coincident
beats
reinforce each other and the peak geometry obscure the feebler more
frequent beats?

You mention the 8:6 ratio can be heard in ghost tone fashion.  I am
not familiar with this term or concept.  Could you explain it further?

Richard Moody.

> From: Jim Coleman, Sr. <pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU>
> To: Richard Moody <remoody@easnet.net>
> Cc: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Inharmonicity in strings
> Date: Monday, June 15, 1998 12:13 AM
>
> Hi Richard:

snip
 the 8:6 relationship. It is there and can be heard. It is very