aural tuning

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:08:31 -0400

mitchkiel@olywa.net wrote:
>     I've listened to lots tunings by PTG members, including tons of
> examinee tunings when I was ETS chair. Perhaps it's an unfair example, but
> examinee aural tunings had a much higher failure rate than electronic
> tunings.

This is a statistic that many aural tuners do not want to hear.

If you noted that the sample group was examinees and would prefer a
comparison between experienced aural and elctronic tuners, see if you
can find data from those technicians who volunteered to be tested to
assist PTG in establishing national standards for the tuning test
several years ago.  Most volunteers were not merely average technicians
but rather those who thought they were good enough to be part of a
standard that they wanted new members to adhere to.

Many were surprised and disappointed by their scores. . . . and the
standards have since been raised.  Many experienced tuners who have a
boatload of demanding clients have never subjected their efforts to
electronic scrutiny.  It's a valid, scientific test. . . . .  and yes,
the mathematic model is the basis for the ideal, if not the ideal
itself.

Carl