What would YOU do?

DGPEAKE@aol.com DGPEAKE@aol.com
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:48:51 EDT

<<
 Statements like this one really puzzle me. Maybe its because the guild has
 more of a presence in some areas than others, but in fifteen years of full
 time tuning for everyone from private residences, to universities, to the
 opera, to large concerts, never once has anyone EVER asked me if I was a
 member of the guild, let alone an RPT.

 I take that back. I was asked a couple of weeks ago. One of the largest
 Baldwin/Yamaha dealers in the midwest approached me about taking over all of
 the Baldwin in-house, field and concert service in addition to the PianoDisc
 work I do for them. One of the things that clinched the job for me, besides
 the fact that they had always been happy with previous work I had done for
 them, was that I was NOT a member of the guild. Seems the dealer overheard a
 group of techs at a guild gathering exchanging derogetory Baldwin jokes. This
 was not the first time this dealer had witnessed this phenomenon. He has
found
 that many techs feel that the Baldwin product is beneath them, and drive
 customers away from buying pianos they are truly happy with.

 Now, nobody needs to defend the guild to me, as I have attended many
 conventions. The best minds in piano technology belong to the guild, and the
 guild is largely responsible for the high level of service our customers
enjoy
 today. And the behavior of some does not speak for everyone. Just a couple of
 things it might do well to keep in mind with the upcoming convention: 1.
 Dealers are the life blood of the future of our business and  2. Watch what
 you say, you never know who might be listening.

 Dave Bunch

Yes it is rare that I am ever asked if I am a member of the PTG or and RPT.
But often when someone moves into town, they look up members of the PTG and
call, and I have the job because of it.

The public in large will not know the difference between and RPT or an
Associate.  I not defending skill level here.  It is our job to let people
know why we are members of the PTG.  New customers will never know how good a
technician is unless he or she has a good reputation and referral.  There are
excellent technicians that not members.

Most of my work is referral. When I get a new client because I am in the PTG,
someone did their job and mentioned the Guild to the client.

For what its worth.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR