Verdigris on Steinway rails

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:41:40 EDT

<< I am about to replace an entire Steinway Model "O" (1913) with Renner
 parts.  (my first time with all Renner) The old action has mild verdigris.
 Should I clean the rails with a particular solution?  Can the Verdigris
 travel eventually from the rails?  Do we know facts about what will happen
 in 50 years on the verdigris problem?  Thanks!

 Lance Lafargue, RPT >>

I clean the rails with Brasso. It is my understanding that the green gunk
comes from a reaction between the center pin and the felt. What is on the rail
is just an "overflow" of that stuff. In other words, it wasn't "created
there". So if you clean it, it will not come back, or reproduce on its own.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis