aural tuningreply

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 06:48:02 -0500

Hi All,
I want to disagree and say publicly that my first tuning when I got my
first SOT skills up  was better than my best aural tuning back in the early
80's in the C3 to F6 range after tuning 18 years and passing the RC test in
1972.  On up and down from there  it was up to me to make the choices but I
found that choosing the right partial to compare to did the job.
	 When the SAT came along still using the F stretch program it made tuning
easier but not better.  When the FAC program came along it made the whole
tuning go quicker but the original F tuning was still hard to beat for the
middle and still is.
	Now with the RCT my tunings are just as good but much more interesting and
gives me more choices to listen to as to tune to what partial.  The
ultimate quality is still up to me and how much care I want to put into it,
not the quality of the machine or any shortcomings some of you think they
have.  My hat is off to Dr. Sanderson, who I just learned is having some
health problems and I hope he gets back into tip top shape.  Men like him
are just as great as Wm. BR. White and others and will be the legends to
talk about in future years.
	In short, it is now to the point where your tuning quality depends on your
attitude, not your method.
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G. from St. Louis, MO. USA, Earth
Piano Service and Piano Periperals
pianoman@inlink.com            May I listen as well as I hear.