pianotech-digest V1997 #834

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 09:47:49 -0600

Hi Jim Turner,

What Dr. Coleman is suggesting is that vtd and etd tuners should do unisons
by aural techniques. In the bass section there are *so* many  partials that
the *box* will tune just *one* better than most aural tuners can.
Unfortunately no 2 strings are identical, so tuning just *one* partial
leads to very unpleasant unisons. As you go higher in the scale, generally
speaking, there are fewer and fewer partials to deal with. The result is a
*cleaner* sounding unison from the *box*. It is still prefereable to tune
all unisons aurally though because again no 2 strings are identical with
respect to termination etc.

At 12:16 AM 6/17/98 -0500, you wrote:
>For Dr. Coleman,
>
>You mentioned not using the SAT to tune unisons in the bass.  I never
>heard you say this before.  Would you comment further on this.  Are you
>saying the bass unisons should always be tuned by ear?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jim Turner

Regards, Don