Equal-Beating Victorian Temperament-Reply

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 22:48:15 EDT

In a message dated 6/17/98 1:26:27 AM Central Daylight Time, fiol@bway.net
writes:

<< Your statement about ethics at the end of your post lead me, out of
 curiosity, to ask what you would do if a customer specifically asked you to
 tune in ET? >>

This almost never happens.  Contrary to what most people say, that "people
always ask for ET", my experience is that they almost never ask for a specific
temperament unless they know about HT's.

 <<Would you use an HT and not tell them?>>

No, not if the customer specifically named ET.

<<  Turn down the work due to the annoyance it might cause your ears, now
accustomed to HTs? >>

In the rare instance that someone does make this demand, I refer them to
another practitioner.  It however is not due to "annoyance" but to a
committment to personal standards.

<< Also, how does your temperament relate to sixth comma meantone?
  It sounds to me like much of it is similar.  It also sounds like your
temperament is
 similar to Werk-3, with the exception of more consistent fourths and
 fifths.  Please, do let me know if I'm way off the mark on this one.>>

The EBV is a VERY irregular temperament which means that all of the tempered
4ths & 5ths  are of different sizes and slightly different beat speeds.  The
6th comma meantones, either syntonic or ditonic both have all tempered 5ths
equal to each other.  I am not familiar with the Werkmeister-3, perhaps you
could describe it.  "Regular or irregular, smallest/largest size 3rds"?

"Regular" or "irregular does not imply "better" or "worse" only different.  I
have noticed however that some of the irregular temperaments seem to be more
interesting.   The Valotti and the Valotti-Young are both regular and quite
good as regular temperaments go.  The regularity can help one remember what
one is doing and offers the prospect of using an ETD to construct an interval
of a specific size.  All of the Meantones that are named "X comma Meantone"
are regular.  I have discovered how to use an SAT to construct them while
compensating for inharmonicity.

The irregularity of the EBV permits the very fine gradation from one tonality
to another.  Regular sized 5ths tend to make tonalities more distinctly
harmonious or harsh.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin

 Thanks,