Aural/ETD

Pianosrv@aol.com Pianosrv@aol.com
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 23:12:14 EDT

In a message dated 6/17/98 6:42:33 PM, Jim Bryant and Anon wrote:

><<"Hmmm, maybe that's the ultimate charm of aural tuning...
>absolution through lack of absolute verification. It's funny how the comfort
>of ignorance vanishes with the right question. <8-\ ">>
>Anon

No IMHO the "ultimate charm" of aural tuning is true control of your tuning
and
also a sense of accomplishment.

Once when I was on the road opening for the band "Toto".  While tuning a cp70
for my band,  there was an ETD tuner from Pro Piano LA,  who was in a panic.
"What do I do, David Paitch wants these intervals (10ths and 17ths) to sound
warmer "?
I said maybe try slowing down your 10ths and 17ths a little,,  He did'nt have
a clue as to what I was saying.  But we went back and forth a little talking
in two languages auraleze and ETDeze  and agreed less stretch.

As for "Absolute verification",??,,,,,, How can something subjective be
absolute ?

T,Ayers
Pianosrv@aol.com