"Bosendorfer Bass/Tenor Break"

Daleboy@aol.com Daleboy@aol.com
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 23:48:27 EDT

Dear List,
       I came across a concert Bosendorfer with a bass/tenor break that really
left me scratchin' mah hed..#$%!!
This is a gorgeous instrument with the exception of two notes right at the
beginning of the tenor section. They are somewhat nasal and muted. Ok.... it's
most obvious that there is a pretty fair distance between the areas of the
soundboard that are accessed by the last notes of the bass section and the
first notes of the tenor section. Is it the sheer distance that is causing the
disparity or is it somewhere else in the scaling?? Just for clarity's sake
(pun intended) the first notes in the tenor are strung with plain wire.
Perhaps they should be wound??
	I would like to add that this was in a recording session and only the
engineer and I noticed the problem....the piano owner/s are not aware of any
problem.
I checked this piano out fairly closely visually and nothing looked out of
place....further studies with our latest round of gadgets may reveal
otherwise.
I'm really puzzled with this one! Your insight will be greatly appreciated!!
Best to All,
Dale Whitehead, RPT
Franklin Piano Restorations