STEINWAY Upright Value

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 23:47:03 -0400

I think my input isn't worth a lot when it comes to evaluating the value
of pianos, but I'll give it anyway.

First thing that comes to mind:  I service a 1907 Steinway upright
serial 128692.  When purchased by a church it was in very nice condition
and had been well taken care of, but there wasn't much of the hammers
left.  It was evaluated by someone else at US $2,000, but the owners
sold it to the church for $850 because no one else was even interested.

Second thing:  I asked a dealer once about placing a value on pianos.
He said, "A used piano is worth what you can get for it."  We all know
there is more to it than that, but there is an element of truth, as
well.  Your client may need to take a great deal less; all depends on
whether you can find a buyer or not!

For what it's worth,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA