Piano Valuations

Alan W Deverell aland@casa.co.nz
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 19:01:29 +1200

I see quite a number of postings from list members seeking opinion on
the value of second hand pianos.

About 10 years ago I developed a "Piano Valuing Database" to run on
IBM PC Computers - you entered, using a comprehensive check list, the
basic data (and about 30 or so variables) including such things as:

Brand
Serial Number
Model No
Style
Size
Age
Case Finnish
Action Condition
etc.
etc.
etc.

Each parameter was given a standard weighting based upon New Price and
agreed or notional effects of diminishing condition etc. etc. etc.

It was just a private project undertaken for my Piano Tuner who does
sell pianos. Took me about 4 hours but loading lots more sample values
was needed to make it effective and to obtain a sensible value
profile.

As someone has already roughly quoted:

"The value of ANYTHING is what someone will pay for it"

This axiomatic truth is not easy to programme into a computer - my
software never really got used for this reason - the question therefor
is:

1) Do any of you Tuners or Technicians etc. HAVE or see utility in
such a valuation tool ?

2) Would it be desirable to have this as a tool on the Internet ? -
you just enter the variables and back comes a notional value.

I'm NOT volunteering to do it but would give some help as time
permits.

Perhaps someone has already done it !

AlanD