"Bosendorfer Bass/Tenor Break"

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 10:19:28

Hi Dale,
        One thing I can say about the Bossy concert pianos that I look
after, they have the most fantastic sounding bass of any instruments that I
have encountered, with playing, the bass seems to just get bigger and
better, however the rest of the instrument does not seem to keep pace.
  A few pointers that took me a couple of years to cotton on to. The
instrument seems to be critical in the first soprano and tenor breaks.
First tap all strings to the bridge, next check the hammer travel very
carefully, mate the hammers to the strings and listen for any hint of
phasing. At this point you will probablely have to neddle down the bass to
smooth out the scale. These instruments are usually so clean that problems
become very obvious very quickly.
Hope this helps
Roger

At 11:48 PM 6/17/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>       I came across a concert Bosendorfer with a bass/tenor break that
really
>left me scratchin' mah hed..#$%!!
>This is a gorgeous instrument with the exception of two notes right at the
>beginning of the tenor section. They are somewhat nasal and muted. Ok....
it's
>most obvious that there is a pretty fair distance between the areas of the
>soundboard that are accessed by the last notes of the bass section and the
>first notes of the tenor section. Is it the sheer distance that is causing
the
>disparity or is it somewhere else in the scaling?? Just for clarity's sake
>(pun intended) the first notes in the tenor are strung with plain wire.
>Perhaps they should be wound??
>	I would like to add that this was in a recording session and only the
>engineer and I noticed the problem....the piano owner/s are not aware of any
>problem.
>I checked this piano out fairly closely visually and nothing looked out of
>place....further studies with our latest round of gadgets may reveal
>otherwise.
>I'm really puzzled with this one! Your insight will be greatly appreciated!!
>Best to All,
>Dale Whitehead, RPT
>Franklin Piano Restorations

Roger Jolly