Aural or Visual Tuning?

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 18:11:47 -0500 (CDT)

Ed,

   I can understand what you mean. I've found in the few months since I
got my SAT (& I don't even have my SAT III yet) that, especially on a
decently scaled piano, there just isn't an awful lot that I would do
differently if I were tuning aurally. The primary differences are usually
in the tenor and in the amount of stretch, especially in the high treble.
I still have trouble accepting beats in a single octave in the high
treble. But, I've found that, just like in Jim C.'s perfect 5ths
temperament tunings, you just don't really hear it when music is being
played. And that *is* the whole purpose, isn't it?

>    The experience is worth reporting: I went for a job interview at a
>university.  For a tuning demonstration the professor asked me to tune a
>piano which had just been tuned with an SAT!  He wanted to know if I
>could improve it.  Yes, I believe I improved it just a little,
>especially by deciding to clean up a few octaves over the break at the
>expense of some frighteningly even 10ths.  But the truth is, the result
>of my aural nitpicking of the machine tuning was probably better than
>any aural tuning I've ever done.

   Now, having said that, don't keep us in suspense. If you're allowed to
yet, which university? Inquiring minds want to know.

Avery

>    I got the job, and left feeling a bit like John Henry: I'd beaten
>the steam drill, but nearly died with my hammer in my hand...

   Even that one (borrowed) sure helped me once (especially my back) when
I had to tune a whole roomful (lab) of those Baldwin digitals with the
tuning pins on the back side.

>    Will an RCT make me a better person? I had a PT100 once, and it
>didn't help.
>
>        Ed Sutton, RPT
>        Wichita, KS for a little while longer.

   Congratulations on the new job and keep us informed as/when you can.

Avery

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston