Sweet sounding

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 21:33:27 -0400

Comments below.

----------
> From: pianoman <pianoman@inlink.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Sweet sounding
> Date: Wednesday, June 17, 1998 7:51 PM
>
> I would think that most of us that tune with computers tune unison
> aurally anyway, I certainly do.

Doing unisons aurally is really the only way to go.  Every once in awhile I
have to tune them with the SAT but that's only when it is just plain too
noisy to hear anything anyway.

> If you purposely tune your unisons to a small variation to have them
sound
> sweet of course that means the piano is already closer to going out of
> tune.

Perhaps ... ... I know for myself that I aim for the *sweet spot* in tuning
unisons.  I haven't tried measuring the differences between strings when I
do hit the *sweet spot* -- I just know when I've hit it because the piano
just sounds so much better.  Then the challenge is to keep it there.