2000 problem

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 01:01:13 -0500

List, computer users in general, etc:
The year 2000 is NOT specific to any one platform and is least likely to occurr
on DOS/WIN/Mac OS, although they are not immune to it.  It is most likely to
occurr on mainframes running Unix, Vax or other "old" but stable OS, and running
programs written in Cobal or similar language.  In addition, changing the date
_past_ 2000 will have no effect, as the problem appears when the date IS the year
2000.  The short version is, when the date is picked up from the system and then
used for mathematical calculations, the system sees an interger error and halts.
For example, what is the result of dividing any number by 0 (or 00) as the
computer sees the year?  Even the $2.99 calculator from Wal-Mart gives you an
error message.

Of course, if I had Gina's money, I'd just go buy a new 400 mHz Pentium Pro and
be done with it. . . .
Danny Moore
http://www.setexas.com/danmoore/