Felting

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 08:53:14 -0400

[Subject line changed intentionally from non-descriptive digest header]

Uh-oh! We'll probably be hearing from the felt gods on this one!

James Grebe, I don't know the source for your information. I also "learned" a
variation of this, along with a group of technicians back during a time that I
could accurately remember when, where, and who said what. <g>

My understanding was that this 'ingredient' was part of the process, with no
mention of moths. When I repeated the information in one of my classes (to
make
a minor point about shaping hammers), I was taken to task about it by an
industry representative. I was told in no uncertain terms that I was wrong,
that whoever told me was wrong, and that I should no longer 'go there' in any
lectures about the felt products or the felting process. From that day, I
dropped that tidbit from my notes -- along with the when, where and from whom.

It was the same day I learned another lesson: there are certain topics that
really are 'off-topic'.

Someone else's serve...

At 06:36 AM 6/19/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi James,
>I was told in the past that Arsenic was used in hammer felt to mothproof
>it.  I wonder if in addition to getting rid of moths and old piano tuners
>it hardened the hammers too.
>James Grebe

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net