Twisting new bass strings

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 10:04:34 EDT

<< Just finished reading Ray Hopland's and Terry Beckingham's articles on Bass
Strings on page 10 and 12 of the April Journal.  The thrust of both of these
articles is that there is no need to put any twist at the hitch pin when
installing new bass strings.  In fact twisting a new string proved detrimental
in the case of Terry's article.

 As the string maker that I get my bass strings from always includes a little
note indicating to give the strings a twist when installing, I am interested
in the list's opinion on this matter.

 Regards,

 John Woodrow >>

About 15 years ago I rebuilt a S&S S. After installing the bass strings, I
found them to be very tubby. I twisted them, but no improvement. So I thought
I must have twisted them the wrong way. SO I twisted them 3 turns the other
way. Still no improvement. Finally, I didn't put any twist in them, and guess
what, a beautiful sound. Since then, I never give my bass strings an extra
twist. I coil the pin level to the ground, and turn it a quarter turn, and
pound the pin. I have never had a problem with my bass strings. And we are
talking close to 150 pianos since then.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis