Twisting new bass strings

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 11:54:25 -0400

No reflection on your reply, Wim, other than it triggered a memory.

It began as a challenge, under terms of warranty, for faulty (buzzing) bass
strings. A quick question and answer session revealed, as cousin Paul would
say, 'the rest of the story'.

Although the owner had not complained of a problem, the tech took it upon
himself to improve the sound of the bass on a new piano. He recalled being
told
to twist bass strings 2-1/2 times in the direction of wrap. He did so, with no
apparent improvement. Assuming that more is better, he did it again, adding an
=additional= 3~5 turns. I never did know the mechanics involved in getting
those extra turns, but at some point, the wrap terminations separated from the
core.

My clue that something was amiss? I can understand an occasional bad wrap
(augh!) on a string or three causing a buzz. When =all= the bass strings are
buzzing, it runs up a red flag!

At 10:04 AM 6/19/98 -0400, you wrote:
>About 15 years ago I rebuilt a S&S S. After installing the bass strings, I
>found them to be very tubby. I twisted them, but no improvement. So I thought
>I must have twisted them the wrong way. SO I twisted them 3 turns the other
>way. Still no improvement. Finally, I didn't put any twist in them, and guess
>what, a beautiful sound. Since then, I never give my bass strings an extra
>twist. I coil the pin level to the ground, and turn it a quarter turn, and
>pound the pin. I have never had a problem with my bass strings. And we are
>talking close to 150 pianos since then.
>Willem Blees  RPT

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net