Puzzler

DGPEAKE@aol.com DGPEAKE@aol.com
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 19:43:28 EDT

<<
 Feurich Grand, 6'6".  Customer complains of clatter when
 playing.  He demonstrated by just pushing a handful of keys down
 a bit and releasing them and what a noise.  The noise from key
 release was very noisy, well beyond what we might live with.  I
 pulled the action and didn't find anything in the piano like
 pencils etc.  The former dealer tuner, who had been taking care
 of the piano since the sale of a few years before, had not been
 able to fix the problem and in desperation had moved up the
 hammer rest rail so the the hammers were resting on the rail.  I
 moved the rail down and checked the blow distance...that was OK.
 No difference in the clatter.  I was stumped until I noticed
 something with the hammer, shanks & flanges up.
 Any ideas about what I had to do to fix the problem...

 David Ilvedson, RPT
 Pacifica, CA
 ilvey@jps.net

 Is the hammer rebound rail tight?  Does this happen with the action removed?
If not, how close is the nameboard, or is the felt not doing the job?

Just a couple of ideas.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR