Twisting new bass strings

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 20 Jun 1998 17:20:15

Hi Terry,
          Why ultra sonically clean a set of bass strings??  A cheap way to
liven up bass strings that are out of the piano is as follows. 1.
vigorously rub them down with 0000 steel wool.  2. Whip the string on to
the floor a couple of times, it really knocks the crud from the coils. This
works well with the iron wound strings, unless they are rusted beyond
redemption. I have actually done this treatment to a Heinzman vertical that
was rebuilt for a Museum who did not want the materials changed.  The
results were suprising, I think the iron wound strings have a sweeter sound.
Regards roger
Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.
Saskatoon/Regina.