Twisting new bass strings

Terry Beckingham Terry_Beckingham@mbnet.mb.ca
Sat, 20 Jun 1998 19:32:01 -0500 (CDT)

At 05:20 PM 6/20/98, you wrote:

>Hi Terry,
>          Why ultra sonically clean a set of bass strings??  A cheap way to
>liven up bass strings that are out of the piano is as follows. 1.
>vigorously rub them down with 0000 steel wool.  2. Whip the string on to
>the floor a couple of times, it really knocks the crud from the coils. This
>works well with the iron wound strings, unless they are rusted beyond
>redemption. I have actually done this treatment to a Heinzman vertical that
>was rebuilt for a Museum who did not want the materials changed.  The
>results were suprising, I think the iron wound strings have a sweeter sound.
>Regards roger
>Roger Jolly
>Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.
>Saskatoon/Regina.
>Canada.

Roger,

I have tried the steel wool on them, but I wasn't completely satisfied with
the results. I found that particles of the steel wool broke off and became
stuck in the windings.

Doesn't whipping the strings on the floor flatten the windings? My shop
floor is concrete, so I don't think this would be advisable on my floor.

Cheers

Terry