Cuban pianists

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Sun, 21 Jun 1998 13:57:06 EDT

In a message dated 6/21/98 11:47:24 AM Central Daylight Time, ted@palmnet.net
writes:

<< All who participated in the "Piana To Havana" operation might be interested
 in the June 22, 1998 edition of TIME magazine.  On page 67 is an article
 about Cuban musicians.  Featured are pianists Jesus (Chucho) Valdes and
 Ruben Gonzales.  Valdes is described as the greatest jazz pianist in Cuba,
 and perhaps in the world!  What I'd like to know is how anyone could reach
 such heights on the low-quality Cuban pianos that were described to us by
 the Piana To Havana team?  Would like to hear about this.

 Ted Simmons >>

Recently, a customer offered to play a CD of Ruben Gonzales for me.  I was
interested to hear how a piano recorded in Havana might sound.  I really
expected something quite substandard.  I have some Jazz recordings made in the
60's that I can't stand to listen to because of the out-of-tune piano.  I
expected this to be like those, if not worse.

To my surprise, the piano sounded quite good, well-tuned with clear, bright
but even voicing.  I figured that even in a troubled country like Cuba, there
must be in it's capital city at least a few good pianos as well as
technicians.  They might have also received some help from countries more
friendly to it such as Canada or Germany to pull off a first-class recording.
I would like to know more about it too.

My city, Madison, is actually a "Sister City" to Camaguey, Cuba.   One of our
city Aldermen and businessmen was born there.  There are frequent visits to
Cuba by the group.  I would really like to go and help out myself but my work
and travel schedule is already so busy that I just cannot manage it.  I sure
would like to set up a new Walter grand in the Madison House that is being
restored in Camaguey.  Just a dream, though.

Bil Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin