Computer poll

PDtek@aol.com PDtek@aol.com
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 03:43:50 EDT

> Subj:	 Re: Computer poll
>  Date:	98-06-22 01:27:49 EDT
>  From:	garret@kdn0.attnet.or.jp (Garret Traylor)
>  Sender:	owner-pianotech@ptg.org
>  Reply-to:	pianotech@ptg.org
>  To:	pianotech@ptg.org
>
>  1. What type of computer do you have (Mac or IBM clone) and what additional
>  hardware or peripherals do you use with it?

IBM (Compaq Presario) 200 Mh Pentium MMX, 1.2 gig hard drive, 32 meg. memory,
17" monitor. Image Wave flatbed scanner. Deskjet printer. 56K modem. I
subscribe to JFax faxing service.

2. How long have you been making use of your computer for business purposes?

4 years

3. When was the last time you upgraded your system?

Just bought this computer new 3 months ago. Had a Mac before this one. Still
like Macs best. (New Mac would have been more expensive)

4. If you use a word processing program, which one is it and what sort of
things do you use it for?

I use Claris Works 5.0. I  have used it to compose letters, tuning info sheets
for customers, posters to advertise a used piano for sale, etc.

5. Do you use your computer for bookkeeping? If so, what program do you use?

Yes. Filemaker Pro 4.0

6. How do you keep track of customer records?

Filemaker Pro. You create a layout with one page for each customer including
Name, address, phone, etc., info about the piano, how often tuned, whatever
you want, and then a long column of fields for each sevice call with date,
service performed, amount charged, received. The nice thing about this apt is
that you can do a find for any type of info you want. Such as, if you want to
find all of your customers that are in a specific area, who has Yamaha grands,
whos due for tuning, who hasn't paid you! etc.

7. Do you send reminders through your computer and, if so, how are these
lists generated?

In Filemaker, I do a find to locate all the customers I tuned for in a
particular month 1 year ago and 6 months ago. I click on "labels", and the
computor prints out a sheet of address labels to stick on reminder post cards.

8. In addition to your computer files, do you also use index cards a/o paper
records to carry with you into the customer’s home?

Each morning I do a find for each customer I am tuning for that day and type
in that days date. I then click "Service Schedule" and a macro program prints
my days schedule to take with me, complete with directions to their house.

9a. Do you use your computer for billing customers?

Yes

9b. Do you print invoices?

No, but I do print the addresses on the envelopes. Looks professional.

10. Do you do such things estimates and  appraisals, etc. from your
computer?  What program(s) do you use for such reports?

I use Claris Works to create the forms, but hand write the info since that is
usually done in the field.

11. Do you publish a newsletter from your computer and what method do you
use?

I used Claris Works to create 1 newsletter. A nice one, with pictures, piano
info, fun stuff, and sent it in place of my reminder cards, with plenty of
prompting to call for an appointment. It was a failure. For some reason my
cards get a much better response.

12. Do you use a spread sheet for any of the above tasks?

I am a PianoDisc retrofit dealer and use a spreadsheet to keep track of that
part of the business only. (Excel)

13. Do you use a program for scheduling appointments a/o a Personal
Information
Manager?

No

14. Do you track shop work and tasks on your computer?

No

15. Can you think of any other valuable ways your computer has helped you in
your piano service business?

To create my web page with Claris Home Page 2.0, which writes the html for you
( http://members.aol.com/pdtek/piano.htm ), e-mail, access to the pianotech
list, create all hard copy designs related to my business such as business
cards and envelopes.

Dave Bunch