Computer poll

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 07:39:57 -0600

Hi Jeannie...

I tried to send this privately but it got bounced!

At 05:42 PM 6/21/98 -0700, you wrote:

>1.	What type of computer do you have (Mac or IBM clone) and what additional
>hardware or peripherals do you use with it?

IBM Pentium 120 with 48 megs of ram and a 2.1 gig drive. CD-ROM, ZIP
drive,scanner, laser printer, 56K X2 modem and an NEC MultiSync monitor.
The computer is networked with two other computers in my home for
backups and printer sharing as well as sharing a single internet connection
and modem.

>2.	How long have you been making use of your computer for business purposes?

Since 1981 (not THIS computer!) on a cassette-driven Radio Shack Model One.

>3.	When was the last time you upgraded your system?

About a month ago... this system is constantly changing.

>4.	If you use a word processing program, which one is it and what sort of
>things do you use it for?

Microsoft Word 95. Business letters, making brochures, handouts and forms
and composing faxes.

>5.	Do you use your computer for bookkeeping? If so, what program do you use?

No, but my bookkeeper (freelance) uses Simply Accounting..

>6.	How do you keep track of customer records?

With Lotus Approach using  relational databases I've built myself.

>7.	Do you send reminders through your computer and, if so, how are these
>lists
>generated?

Yes... through Lotus Approach. The computer kicks out a list of customers
due that month and the addresses are printed directly on reminder cards
using the laser printer.

>8.	In addition to your computer files, do you also use index cards a/o paper
>records to carry with you into the customer’s home?

I print out a daily form, fill it out, bring it back to the computer,
transfer the info and then shred the form so customer's personal
information is destroyed.

>9.	Do you use your computer for billing customers?  Do you print invoices?
>If so which program do you use for these activities?

Lotus Approach again. Invoices are printed onto "GeoMusic" paper once
they're created.

>10.	Do you do such things estimates and  appraisals, etc. from your
>computer?  What program(s) do you use for such reports?

Yes... with Microsoft Word.

>11.	Do you publish a newsletter from your computer and what method do you
>use?

An occasional newsletter for some of my customers, yes. Word again.

>12.	Do you use a spread sheet for any of the above tasks?

No.

>13.	Do you use a program for scheduling appointments a/o a Personal
>Information
>Manager?

No. I schedule appointments in a hard-copy diary and get a daily list from
Approach.

>14.	Do you track shop work and tasks on your computer?

Not really...

>15.	Can you think of any other valuable ways your computer has helped you in
>your piano service business?

Other than helping me be more organized, the Internet has been one of the
most valuable. The communication between other piano technicians via the
internet over the last few years has been fabulous. Some of the tips etc.
have paid for the internet service many times over

Of course, the computer and a laser printer makes a business look much more
professional in people's eyes, simply because the paper you turn out looks
very good.

I hope that is of assistance, Jeannie... good luck!

			John

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com