Twisting new bass strings

John Woodrow John.Woodrow@aus.dupont.com
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 09:32:20 +1000

Newton & Jim,
You guys have overlooked the obvious.  Everybody 'down under' simply turns
the piano up on its lid and works through from the bottom.  What other
reason did you think that put bottom doors on pianos?  This way we see the
piano insides the same way you do and don't get any more confused than we
are already.

Regards,
John

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 11:24:53 -0400
From: harvey <harvey@greenwood.net>
Subject: Re: Twisting new bass strings

Interesting point, Newt. I'll play along.

Let's add bass string twisting to: water draining in the opposite
direction; walking around upside down; and driving on the wrong side of the
road. So you're saying twist the strings in a direction best suited to the
'down-under'
location. What happens with Schaff, whose wrap direction counters the rest
of the industry? Or Yamaha, who pre-loads (tweaks, torques?) their wrap
against the core by wrapping back at the winding termination? Then, after
impact, as
strings start to settle and rotate (for us) counter-clockwise to the
earth's rotation, will this negate the reverse twist, or should we stick
with Plan 'A' to be doubly sure?

I just managed to confuse myself, so it's obvious I wouldn't understand any
answers to this either!

At 09:42 AM 6/19/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi John,
>Twist them strings.  Question is which way?  Corealis effects being what
they are do you tist them the other way because of where you live?

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net

Email:		Woodroj@syvax.email.dupont.com
Telephone:	61-2-99236103