Lacquer or Sanding Sealer Specifications

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 22:20:25 -0700 (MST)

Hi John:

You might have scared the Lac. manufacturing rep. with your questions about
specs. We use just ordinary cellulose lacquer for interior furniture
finishing. I have never used such weak solutions as 10:1, but I know others
have. High solids clear lacquer will make the tone brighter. If you overdo
it, it is harder to get needles into and out of the hammers. If you use
Lacquer sanding sealer, the needles will work better. I wouldn't worry
so much about the material specifications. The thinning will make more
difference than the material. As your mixture sits around, the thinner
evaporates and you lose your precision anyway.

I'm doing a job now in which I am using two melted keytops in a half pint
of Acetone. I am gradually building up the sound so that I do not have
to needle back right away.

Jim Coleman, Sr.