two puzzlers - (troubleshooting training:-)

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 14:00:03 -0500 (CDT)

At 12:38 PM 6/23/98 -0400, you wrote:
>First, a couple clues on the 'F's puzzle.
>
>I counted 4, then 6, then 8, then settled on 7.
>
>Write down the directions for the puzzle from memory.  Now go back and
>see what they really are.

*Yea, I know. It said "Read the following sentence and count the F's." It
didn't say specifically to count the F's only in the following sentence,
therefor, the F in the instructions counted too. The instructions *did*
specifically say to count F's, not f's and F's, so the count is not eight,
it's seven. This puzzle was brought to you by the guys who design tax forms
and instructions.

>New puzzle #1
>
>Mary has ten apples.  Jim doesn't have any.  How many apples does Mary
>give to Jim such that at the end of the transaction, she will have nine
>more than Jim?

*1/2 an apple.

>New puzzle #2
>
>Connect the dots using one continuous line that has three hinges in it.
>You may not bend any of the line segments.
>	*			*			*
>	A			B			C
>

>	*			*			*
>	D			E			F
>

>	*			*			*
>	G			H			I

Starting at I, through E *to* A. Turn and go *through* D, and G, past G to a
point where the next turn will take you *through* H and F to a point past F
where the final turn will take you through B. You can do the same pattern
starting at any of the corners or sides of the rectangle. The only point
that can't be the end of the line segment is E, the one in the center.

>Carl

I'm having a late lunch, what's your excuse? %-)

 Ron