You've got questions? (was Piano Designers...)

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:42:09 -0400

And I've got answers Bill, although it's tough trying to follow Nossaman!

> Kimball at one point was bragging about its "Pipe Organ Sound Chamber"
> whenever you opened one to tune it.  I have never found the sound
> chamber, but it must be where they keep all the wild inharmonicity cooped
up.
> Anyone else know where they put it?

You removed the chamber prior to tuning the piano, and probably laid it
aside. Remember I mentioned that some of those extra parts can come in
handy? You might want to check the trunk of your car. Also, I've never
noticed the inharmonicity being cooped up anywhere -- it's always been
available for me.

> Similarly, Heppe upright pianos said right on the plate that they
> had three sound boards.  I only ever found one.  Where are the others?

On the other two pianos they built. While it's conceivable they'd sell all
three pianos in the same town, it's presumptuous to think you would get all
the accounts.

> For good measure, have any of you English majors ever tuned a
> piano with this cast into the plate?  "The Lindeman family have been
building
> pianos for 85 years."  Jim Harvey or Susan Kline, can you correct the
grammar?

Be happy to: 'The Lindeman family have been building a piano for 85 years'.

It's all in good spirit folks. Which reminds me, I'm about out of Sterno!