Tech to customer talk

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 12:54:48 EDT

Et Al;
 This is a quote from the humor page which possibly presents a "pedagogical"
moment for us all. Read the quote and then I will state my thought.
(thanks CH)

<<"-------- Technologies is endeavorily determined to promote constant
attention on current procedures of transacting business focusing emphasis on
innovative ways to better, if not supercede, the expectations of quality!">>

  Question: How often, when we are explaining the reason and cures for a
pianos problems, do we sound like this to the customer?  I know I do when I
see the blank vacant look on their face :-)

  We all have seen in the last few days how language is not a precise thing
when used in a "loose" manner because after all.... we all know what we
mean....huh?
  So if we can confuse each other with the alphabet (by the way why is it in
the order it is?), money figures, and secret tonalities, imagine what we can
and, too often do, sound like to the poor clients we talk too. :-)

  Consequentially when it comes to language.....we should be careful at whom
we point it and assure to the ultimate ascertainable certitude the proximity
of universally understandable lexicographical application within our
oral/aural selections, in order to transmit unremmittingly accurate and
focused information to facilitate actuated intelligent alternative decision
processes within our clients grasp.

  In other words tell the customer why the sound board is rattling and not why
a 50 foot speherical cross section is better than one based on a 60 foot cross
section.  OK?
I'm as guilty of this as any......<-(
Jim Bryant (FL)
"well now, that confuses me?"