Soundboard Damage above humidifier

Gayle Mair damppchasr@brinet.com
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 13:20:02 -0400

Dear Rob;

There has to be reasonable air flow around the humidifier, and the baffle
has to be
positioned properly over the humidifier.  If not, in some rare situations,
condensate may
form on the underside of the sound board at the end of the baffle.

Reasonable air flow is obtained by having several inches clearance between
the beams and
the humidifier tank.  If you have used a standard size grand tank (63/4"
wide by 17" long),
and put it into very cramped quarters, the likelihood of producing
condensate sufficient to
reach the sound board is higher than if there had been reasonable air flow.

We produced the short tank (33/4" wide by 13" long), at Bob Ousley's
suggestion, to go
into pianos where the fit was tight, or impossible with the standard tank.
I'd use this tank
in the future where there was any question about fit.  You are right, the
longer hanger
brackets came about to produce better air flow in every installation,
including tight fitting
installations.

The longer hanger brackets have been supplied as a standard part of the
system for two
years, so my inclination is that those rare cases where there was an air
flow problem, you
would have seen evidence of condensate by now.  The point is, if you
haven't' already seen
it, I don't think you are going to.

Rob, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times this has
come up in my 13
year association with Dampp-Chaser, but the fact that it came up one time
meant that we
should do something about it.  The above is what we did.

I hope this helps a bit.

Best Regards,

Bob Mair