fumigation and pianos

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 09:11:55 EDT

<< Dear technicians,

 Does anyone know whether fumigating a house for termites has any effects
 (immediate or residual) on a piano?  If we do fumigate, it is advisable to
 remove the piano from the house first or would that be an unnecessary
 expense?  If we do fumigate, we would use Vikane rather than methyl bromide.

 Please feel free to reply to me directly, and thanks for your help.

 Michael D. Martinez >>

Dear Michael:

My friend, Ray Lamotta, in the Virgin Island, has told me that housses there
are frequently fumigated for termites, and that all the furniture, and I
presume the piano, stays in the house.  The fumigation kills the termites,
which have the ability to invade anything that is wood, including pianos. So I
would say, you can fumigate a piano. In fact, it should be done, in case the
termites found the piano to their liking.

Willem Blees