Baldwin info please

DHENNESS@aol.com DHENNESS@aol.com
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 13:43:55 EDT

Ron,

I am currently rebuilding an E scale 5-8 Baldwin that was donated to my church
some years ago.  The serial number I found, though, was preceded by an "H".
When I spoke with Kent Webb about it, he, too, said they had no historical
data on those pianos.  He did say that he had done a little research and found
that there were only four letters (if memory serves me) of the alphabet that
Baldwin hadn't used for model numbers at some time or another.  I wouldn't get
too balled up about the model number.

Your SN indicates the piano was built about 1929, so it could be due for some
major work.  I found this model/scale to be a pretty good design, if a bit
odd.  It has 20 bass notes, like an L, and 6 tenor bichords.  The one I am
working on had an OK tone even with old strings, totally worn out hammers
(some had chunks gone), and a bridge cap separation for about an octave in the
low treble.

The action frame is unlike any other I have seen.  The hammer rail has a metal
cap on it, and the wippen rail is all metal.  Both hammers and wippens are
attached by machine screws, rather than wood screws.  Conventional Baldwin
parts fit and work well, with only minor modification.  The action is a little
heavy, but it's solid as a rock.

Overall, I think this is a decent piano.  Much of the design is as good as, or
better than, any current piano.  I think it will kick when I'm finished with
it.  If you have any questions, just let me know.

Ken Zahringer, RPT
Columbia, MO

Ken Zahringer, RPT
Columbia, MO