Damper Spring Replacement

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 15:07:01 -0300

DHENNESS@aol.com wrote:

> I have recently started replacing damper springs as a matter of course when I
> replace dampers on old uprights.  I am doing this because I have had
> unacceptable results in the past with new dampers operated by 60- to 80-year-
> old springs.  I have tried replacing the springs only, and replacing the
> entire flange assembly.  In both cases the job cost way more than I thought it
> should (about 5 1/2 hrs for springs only, roughly same $ in parts & labor for
> flanges).  The time problem in replacing the springs was in getting the old
> cord out.  I tried pushing it out with center pin pliers and drilling it out,
> but nothing seemed to work well.  I hope there are some tricks of the trade
> out there that I am unaware of.
>
> Thanks,
> Ken Zahringer, RPT
> Columbia, MO
Hi Ken,
If it has a centre pin surrounded by bushing cloth, I just push out the
centre pin, and cut on either side of the spring with an exacto knife.
Then the ends push out easily.
If is just the cord, I just cut on either side of the spring coil,
remove the spring with the centre portion, then as before just push out
the ends.
Regards,
John M. Ross
PTG Assoc.
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.
P.S. Don't push too hard with the knife as it is easy to split the
flange. Also put the replacement cord in the narrowest side of the
flange first, so when you pull it out you have some wood for strength,
so the old flange will have less of a chance of splitting.