S & S 'A' parts

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 19:13:41 EDT

Avery asks:
>About 15 yrs. ago someone rebuilt the
>piano and installed new Steinway wippens, shanks & flanges, all with
>teflon bushings. The knuckle set is app. 15.5 mm and the knuckles are the
>old dark brown rough stuff.
>   What I'm wondering is could the measurements, or even weight, be
>different enough, compared to the original parts, to cause this heavy touch
>on such an old piano?

   Yes, I think so.  Prime suspects are the weight of the hammer and the
geometry.  This is a likely candidate for a drastic hammer weight reduction.
I would run some of Stanwood's ratios on selected keys.

>   If so, which new parts now made would be appropriate for this action?

     The Renner long geometry shanks will always reduce the effort, but you
have to make sure you can get the appropriate keydip, aftertouch and hammer
blow.  There are sometimes problems here, and you don't want an action that
needs .450" keydip, just to make it work.....
Regards,
Ed Foote