Baldwin console bass bridge report

James Grebe pianoman@inlink.com
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 20:41:05 -0500

Hi All,
On Monday I arrived at the ladys house and took another look while I was
armed with CA glue and epoxy.  I decided to use the CA.  Used my tip truck
to lay the piano down.  I unstrung the bichord strings and tied them off to
the side and I pulled all the bichord front pins.  I glued on a thin strip
of poplar on the front face of the bridge to block back the cracked out area
and clamped with 2 clamps and began filling the cracked out holes with the
CA glue and a drop or two on the back pins each..  After 2 passes with that
I reinserted the pins and lightly tapped them down  a little lower than they
were originally, used a damp rag and cleaned up residue from the face of the
bridge.  One thing which came in handy was wearing my disposable plastic
gloves.  Who needs stuck fingers?
    This afternoon I returned and looked over the situation.  All looked
well so I removed the clamps, and strung it up.  It now has lots of side
bearing.  Put it back on its feet and tuned the bass around 4 times and
tuned the rest of the piano.  Lady said it sounded very good.    I think the
bass sounded better than the rest of the piano.  She was happy, I was happy,
my wallet was happy and now you should be happy also with your suggestions
for me.  Thanks all.
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G
pianoman@inlink.com
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups and Practical Piano Peripherals in
St. Louis, MO