DUPLEX SCALE

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 19:57:52 -0600

Hi Mike,
              I've finally found a good use for my Jaras key leveller, install
two long pillars in place of the present ones, get a rubber hammer and cut
about half the head off on a band saw, bore two holes to fit the pillars,
notch
the tapered face with a 1/2" tounge that is 1/2" deep. I inserted two brass
sleeves inside the holes so that it slides nicely. An  8" drop gives a
reasonable ff  . You need to play the note three or four times to remove
static
friction to obtain reproduability. I am using this device on a research
project
into the non linear aspects of Youngs Modulus and elasticity of hammer
shoulders. Results are with in 10% reproducability with most of the harmonic
series that I am looking at with the spectrum analyser on a RCT.  No questions
please, as I am not sure of what I am finding at this time.
  However I have convinced a Prof of Non linear materials to help me with the
project.
Questions on the gizmo welcome.
Regards Roger

At 02:45 PM 30/09/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi Bob,
>     I will do it but must first create a way to play the notes in a
>uniform manner.  I don't have a tuning stability testing tool but do
>have good pianos to do the test on.  I will have to think about making a
>harmless device to give consistent playing force so the results will be
>useful.  Suggestions anyone?  I'm gone the rest of the week but will be
>thinking.
>-Mike Jorgensen
>
>fndango@azstarnet.com wrote:
>>
>> To Mike J,
>>
>> Yes, please use the pianalyzer to compare the partial strengths with and
>> without the front duplex muted. I think several of us would be
>> interested.
>>
>> Bob Anderson
>> Tucson, AZ

Roger Jolly