Bass Tuning

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 21:05:44 -0500

The bass tuning tests I rely on most are the fifths, octave + fifth (12th)
and double octave + fifth (19th).
	As Newton implied and I state emphatically, because of scaling problems,
lower bass tuning often turns into a guessing game.  The shorter the scale
the more the guessing.  But most important are the tests, and getting the
note being tuned to agree best with all of them.
	  The double octave test is the most important test for me, for "roughing
in "  Then getting the  12th and the 19ths to sound less "sour" is the
tweeking part and still maintain the octave and double octave sound.  The
tenths and 17th because of their faster beat rates serve as a guideline
for detecting "errors"  Because if they beat a little too fast or little
too slow from theoretical, that will not affect the harmonic sound. BUT if
the 5th, 12th or 19th beat too much, it makes them sound, well I can't
think of a better word, sour.

Ric Sourless