wheretogetit

mitchkiel@olywa.net mitchkiel@olywa.net
Thu, 1 Oct 98 01:42:15 -0800

>Looking for something thinner than the standard combo handle jack
>"screwdriver" regulating tool.  (Thinner in the shank, that is, because on
>Yamaha C3's for example, it's tough getting between the letoff dowels to
>adjust the jack screws).
>
>Is the Pianotek JJS-1 this item?
>
>Rob Stuart-Vail

Rob,

  If you don't find the tool you need, just make it yourself.
I've adapted tools many times, a few for exactly
the reason you mention.
  Get a tool with the proper tip then thin down the shaft
on a bench grinder. Grind away only as much as you need to.
For regulating, the thinner and weaker shaft won't matter, but
for screwdrivers it will.
  I like this method better than the mentioned drill press
and file, which puts side pressure on a drill chuck that
expects in-line forces.
  When grinding a tool shaft, please be careful. The shaft wants to spin,
so hold it with clamping pliers, use the tool rest (but don't let
the tool slip between the tool rest and the grinding wheel),
and Mr. Mom says wear eye protection, short sleeves, and gloves (don't
ask me how I know).

Mitch