classy class

mitchkiel@olywa.net mitchkiel@olywa.net
Thu, 1 Oct 98 01:42:17 -0800

Jim Coleman wrote
>However, unbeknownst to most people, we have already had tuneoffs between
>the SAT and the RCT.
>
>The first occurred at Olympia, WA about a year ago. I was the houseguest
>of Mitch Kiel for the conference. Out of deference to my most kind host, I
>did not at that time point out before his local group that the tuning of the
>piano (most favored by the group) was the one tuned by the SAT and the other
>one was tuned by the RCT. Mitch knew and I knew.

    Jim, I had a great time hosting you, and the class you taught was
great as usual. As I recall, the afternoon class you refer to
was a demo/comparison of your pure fifths temperament.
I think I remember it quite well, having helped you tune the pianos the
night before.
Our little secret was that neither of the Yamaha U1's was
equal temp. One was your pure fifths and the other a non-equal
temperament (Coleman 4??). You revealed this to the class only after
the tune-off voting. If I remember correctly, the vote
was very close, mixed, with the pure 5ths having a slight advantage.

   So I most kindly and respectfully must disagree with the implication
of your
post. The basis of the comparison and vote was the differing temperaments,
and not SAT vs RCT.

Mitch

Mitch Kiel, RPT
Reyburn CyberTuner sales and support