RCT comments

mitchkiel@olywa.net mitchkiel@olywa.net
Thu, 1 Oct 98 01:42:21 -0800

>I used the RCT during the tuning exams this summer, and they are very
>nice.
>>If
>>>I had a lap top computer already, I would have considered getting the
>>>programs. But one of the draw back I see is the size. Carying around
>>another
>>>10 lbs, and finding a place to put the lap top, should be something one
>>should
>>>consider when looking at the RCT.
>>>
>>>Just my opinion.
>>>
>>>Wim

Wim,
   Someone's already corrected your misimpression about the size
of laptops. So I'll simply restate that laptops running RCT can be as
small as a paperback novel and weigh less that 3 pounds, for
example the Toshiba Libretto 100 that fits in my pants pocket.

  Your worry about placing a computer on top of a piano is
one we hear often, but it's quite misplaced. In a cute
twist of fate I know you will appreciate, Jim Coleman
came up with the clever idea of opening the laptop lid
widely and placing the computer on its end. I do this
approx 10% of the time; on the other 90% of pianos my
computer fits quite nicely on its base on top of verticals.
   While we're on this topic, I must point  out that
I find a laptop computer is much easier to place
and more stable on grand plates than my old SAT2.

  Others have commented that they think a computer must be
directly in front of your face in order to see the screen.
   Not true for the vast majority of laptops, which these
days have TFT screens (also called active matrix)
and don't exhibit this limitation.
My TFT/active matrix Mac and Toshiba laptops work extremely
well at very wide angles. BTW, you can change the color
and brightness of RCT's Spinner to any of 256 colors your
computer is capable of, which you can fiddle with
to see if a partiicular color works  better. Changing colors is
fun too. I set my Spinner to baby puke green or hot pink
if I need something to help me from getting bored.

  And if you're looking for a backup strategy, you
might be happy to know that you can move your copy of RCT
from one computer to another. So if your computer breaks (wah),
you can keep tuning with the same copy of RCT
on another machine.
   In my house there are 3 laptops,
and I know many households with more. Laptops
are so cool and cheap that they're becoming the
computer of choice for many mobile professionals.
Piano tuners, for example.

Mitch

Mitch Kiel, RPT
Reyburn CyberTuner sales and support