Bidding Restringing Job

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Thu, 01 Oct 1998 10:38:09 +0100

It looks like the question is moot for the time being. The piano in question is
a Starck spinet, about 40-45 years old. Last night, I did a pitch raise
(actually two) from over a half step flat and a fine tuning (yes, it will need
another tuning in the near future, but is real close to A440 now). Bridges and
soundboard all look to be in good shape - no noticable cracks or compression
ridges. The pinblock appears to be in pretty good shape: all of the pins were
fairly tight, a few a little looser but not bad at all. The piano needs
regulation - I touched up some of the worst lost-motion offenders.

The bass strings are dirty and tubby sounding, plain strings look fairly good
and withstood the pitch raise with now problem - a bit hard to judge the tone as
the hammers are in need of filing. But the owner has decided to wait to see if
their daughter is going to stick with lessons before spending that kind of money
on the piano, which has been in the family since it was new....

Thanks anyway to all who responded.

--
Jerry Hunt
Dallas, TX USA