Schumann sb like Emerson

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 09:21:19 +0000

I've got a shot at a Sohmer Upright, 1895 that has lived in
California its whole life.  Soundboard/bridges perfect, still
got crown although I still have a hard time measuring it with a
thread.  Does Sohmer from that era have a good reputation?

Thanks in advance...

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

> From:          "Richard Moody" <remoody@easnet.net>
> To:            <pianotech@ptg.org>
> Subject:       Schumann sb  like Emerson
> Date:          Wed, 30 Sep 1998 21:49:19 -0500

> Yes,  the rib arrangement on the old Schumann upright is the "radial"
> design, as you describe.  Much like in the old Emerson uprights. Boy does
> that Emerson sound good, circa 1900..... in unrestored condition... The
> owner is balking on $250 to get it into playing condition.  I might get it
> for $50.
>
> Richard Moody
>
> ----------
> > From: Michael Jorgensen <Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu>
> > To: pianotech@ptg.org
> > Subject: Re: Kranich and Bach Plate Crack
> > Date: Tuesday, September 29, 1998 5:25 AM
> >
> > I know about the old Schumanns,
> >     They have a decal that says "Built like a Violin" which I never
> > could quite understand.  The ribs structure is a radial design where
> > they all originate at one end of the board near each other and then
> > radiate away from each other.  The idea was to space ribs in an infinite
> > variety ways so that every harmonic would be allowed to vibrate.  The
> > tone seemed typical of lower end american grands from that era, and the
> > piano was lightly built and boasted about having a "low tension scale".
> > There were only three sections and no agraffs.  Such pianos can be made
> > to play quite well and often can have responsive actions and functional
> > but they are not class one pianos.
> >
> > -Mike Jorgensen RPT

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA