Two hats, only one head

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@NAU.EDU
Thu, 01 Oct 1998 10:29:40 -0700

Tim Keenan & Rebecca Counts wrote:

> I was asked by the local music store if I would (please!) take over running their
> print music department, which had been sadly neglected since the previous incumbent > left.
<snip>

> The owners have decided to try their luck at Yamaha pianos, now that they have a
> relationship with a reliable technician (me). They are starting out with 3, already > ordered.
<snip>

> I feel this is a good opportunity for me to build clientele from the ground up, and
> to fill the spare hours I have anyway--but how would you advise me to set up my > relationship with the dealer?
<snip>

> Should I try to work it on a contract basis or as an employee?
> What is "normal" if anything, for floor tunings and service?
>
> Regards
>
> Tim Keenan
> Noteworthy Piano Service
> Terrace BC

Tim, I have worked on for two different dealers as an "employee" but
would probably never do it again. The last one was virtually identical
to which you discribe; a large dealer heavily into band instruments,
sheet music, as well as other types of instruments, equipment, and
accessories. They were a chain of about 7 stores (depending on how you
counted), and where pretty successful. Though they had a "Reasonable"
piano department featuring S&S and Kawai, pianos were primarily a
side-line for them. They were always greatfull for what I did for them
including rebuilding work, but I am certain that I could have done much
better on my own as a contractor. With the persuading and coaching I was
always faced with explaining "why" they needed to have the hammers
reshaped on this piano, key leveling in that piano, regulating on
another, I began to realize that as an outside technician I would be
making the same speeches with the same results. I always ended up
winning. The biggest drawback, however, was becoming "tied" to the
dealer. I wasn't able to do any of my own advertising or take any
significant outside work, (that they knew about), but rather I had to
represent "them" instead of "me". Everyone in town new "my" work under
the dealer's name. They got creadit, I got a fixed salary no matter how
many people I went out of my way for. Furthermore, if they screwed up,
mis-scheduled someone, did not allow me to do all the neccessary prep
work on a used piano, or otherwise pissed someone off, it reflected
badly on me.

Ok, having said that, I do have some friends working for dealers who
feel they are getting a reasonable deal. I have received a general
concenses, however, that they still "someday" plan do leave and go
independent. Few say that they intended to retire there.

In my opinion, as an employee who is already handling their sheet music
concerns you have probably already won their loyalty. You are buddies
with them now and they know what you can do. It is likely that they will
want to use you as their tech. Treat them right, give them a fair deal
but be firm, no freebies. Explain needs and concerns to them as you
would any customer. If they are just starting out with only three pianos
there probably isn't much to get excited about yet anyway. But in the
future as more pianos get sold and as they become better known as a
piano dealer you will pick up a lot of customers for your database real
quick. They will become YOUR customers NOT the dealer. To make it fair
give the dealer a $3.00-$5.00 commission for referring and booking
tunings. You will need to give them a cut-rate for floor tunings but
this will be expected and they don't have to be concert-quality tunings,
just quick and decent. You can also win their hearts by referring
customers to them. It will become a win-win situation for both parties.
They will soon realize the importance of the relationship and you will
probably wind up having the same job security as you would being an
employee.

Just one guy's "been there" opinion.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Northern Arizona U.