Is this normal procedure?

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 01 Oct 1998 17:43:04 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Phil,

   About all I can say is, I agree with what has already been posted.
Having done the work for a school system in West Texas, plus the college
work now,
(149 pianos), it's going to be next to impossible to get the job done in
that space of time. You'd be lucky to have 6 weeks to do the tunings. At 4
a day
for 5 days, that's almost 7 weeks. Can you put many of your customers on
hold for that long? Can you get to the rooms in order to DO 4 a day?
   I think Susan's approach would be a very good one to take.

>Probably the person suggesting the dates hasn't a clue as to how long it
>takes to tune a piano, and isn't really in all that big a hurry to get them
>done. Best to give them the information in a neutral, non-blaming way. I
>think they'd freak right out if asked to pay more for rush work.

   Have you talked to the music supervisor (or whatever it might be called)
for the school system? If that person has any say so in the bidding
process, he/she might be more understanding of the time frame, etc. I was
lucky. That
was the only person I had to deal with except for finding out when the
room(s) were available from the individual schools. Most of the music
teachers had at least an hour or so free during the day. Usually lunch
combined with a conference period.
   Just a few thoughts from someone who's been there.