Contests, or moot points, was Re: Another TUNE-OFF

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 22:41:32 EDT

<< It would seem to be that with two, or more, very capable ETDs that the
 results on the same piano, with the same technician, with the same
temperament
 would be so close as to be unmeasurable, either as to "in tuneness",
 stability,, etc. except by the ETDs themselves.  Since we don't listen to our
 pianos through the ETD while they are being played for music I hardly see the
 benefit to be gained herein.

   The comparison here would be similar to two boards being joined together
 with two brass screws, one having a bright finish and one having a brushed
 finish and then discussing which screw is doing the best job of holding the
 board together.

   But then I am a recovering aural tuner and don't know what I know about
ETDs
 :-)
 Jim Bryant (FL) >>

Jim has a good point here. However, I think what Jim Sr. was trying to
accomplish is more than just to see which ETD can tune better, and which piano
will give the best results, etc.

Comparing TUNE OFF's to two board screwed together would like comparing Mark
McGwire and Sammy Sosa having a home run contest. One person hitting a home
run is not exciting, unless there is excitement in the game. There were times
when McGwire hit a home run, but the Cardinal lost. The home run was exciting,
but the players didn't celebrate. And Mark hit 70 home runs in one year, which
was very exciting, but the Cardinals didn't make the playoffs. It was great he
did what he did, but the team didn't play so good, so the celebration ended
too soon.

How does this campare to a piano tuning contest. If we just tuned two pianes
with and ETD, and let it go at that, there would not be any excitment. But if
we did it under extreme situations, like prepareing for an evaluation by other
tuners, or by other ETD's,  then it adds excitiment to the "game". And it
would be even more exciting, if there were rewards for doing the best job.
Then the clelebration could continue.

If we are to get enjoyment out of work, then we need to find more exciting
ways to make our work enjoyable. I think a tune off, on different levels, is
one way to make our profession more enjoyable. But just like professional
sports, not everyone has the ability to compete on the top levels. However,
everyone enjoys participating on their own level, or watching the game being
played.

So, let the games begin. Who's got the ball?

Wim