Tuning NPI with ETDs

mitchkiel@olywa.net mitchkiel@olywa.net
Sun, 4 Oct 98 10:33:40 -0800

Conrad asked
>Those of you who have ETD's and deal with cembali, etc. - Do these various
>machines have the ability to calculate overshoot/undershoot for such a pitch
>change and/or for NPIs?

   RCT calculates overpull percentages for each note based on piano
behavior. Each note gets its own overpull percentage, based on
data we gathered from tuning a few hundred pianos.
   Standard percentages: A0 has 0, A# 4%, B0 8%, other bass notes get
12%,
You tell RCT the lowest plain wire note which gets 32%,
then percentages smoothly feather to 30% in the midrange, up gradually
to 38% at about octave 6, then smoothly down to 21% at C8. You can choose
   Low percentages: subtract 3  percentage points from Standard settings.
   High percentages: add 3 percentage points.

  I don't have much experience with NPIs, so I'll have to guess.

   First, try the Low  overpull percentages. If they're still too much (I
suspect they will be, so please listen carefully
during the PR and don't break strings), it's real easy to overpull
manually with RCT. Use Fine Tune mode and in the Offset box
(visible onscreen all the time while you're tuning) manually type in
your own overpull cents. Then, following the trends in RCT's piano
percentages, click the on-screen up/down arrows to adjust the cents up or
down.

  Good news:
  In a not-too-distant future version of RCT, you'll be able
to have mutiple sets of overpull percentages. In other words, you'll
create
your own customized sets of overpull percentages, for example one for
grands,
another for spinets, one for harpsichords, another for your dealer's own
brand
nd model of console, etc.

   RCT 3.0 already includes a similar feature for aural temperaments. You
can
create 12 aural temp sequences of 25 notes, name, save, and recall
any of these 12 temp sequences at any time.

Mitch

Mitch Kiel, RPT
Reyburn CyberTuner sales and support

11326 Patsy Drive SE