breaking strings

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Tue, 06 Oct 1998 19:54:58 -0700 (MST)

Hi Clyde:

There are two principal reasons why young bass strings break. One of them
is where there is a very sharp angle around the V-Bar pin. The other is
when the Bass V-Bar is high and the Tuning pin coil is low and close to the
V-Bar. The downward angle from the V-Bar to the bottom coil is so great that
the string tends to jump over its own coil thereby causing a very sharp
bend at the point of added tension as the pin is tightened. Breakage at this
location can take place on brand new pianos. In order to lessen this
possibily, one can loosen the coil and tilt it so that the string does not
jump over its own coil.

Jim Coleman, Sr.